During 1998-99 the house was restored in close consultation with Historic Scotland. A team of skilled stonemasons faithfully reproduced the original features and restored the armorial panels using traditional techniques.
After photographing the chimneys all eight were reduced to roof level and rebuilt using many of the original stones in exactly the same position. The whole of the roof was replaced, again re-using as much original material as possible, replacements being matched to the originals which were from the local quarry in Aberfoyle.
New stone mullions and lintels were also hand tooled to match exactly the detail of the existing. The oldest wing of the house was externally re-harled using the traditional mixture of lime, sand and goat hair from our own small herd of Angora goats. The application technique and finish were completed to the original 1513 appearance.
Extensive research and painstaking investigation revealed original unknown fireplaces, doorways, windows and previously inaccessible rooms and changed floor levels. The interior of the Victorian wing, the southern part, was returned as close as possible to the layout and style which the revered Scottish architect David Bryce intended in 1845.
The oldest part of the house, will undergo restoration next winter and will incorporate recently discovered features dating from the 16th century. This work will not disturb the tranquillity of the remainder of the house.